The Corrigan coat of arms illustrated is officially documented in Burke’s General Peerage the original description of the arms (shield) is as follows:
ARMS: Or, a chevron between two trefoils slipped in chief
vert and lizard in base proper.
CHEVRON – one of the Honourable Ordinaries.
COLOURS: When translated the blazon also describes the original
colours of the arms as:
Gold; a green chevron between two green trefoils and a
naturally coloured lizard in base.
Gold – Or – denotes generosity, valour
Green – represents hope, vitality
CREST: A sword in pale point downwards, in front thereof two
battle-axes in saltire
MOTTO: CONSILLIO ET IMPETU
Translation: ‘By Plan and Attack‘
‘To Council And To Charge’
‘By Council Not By Force’
(Several translations have been found in various sources. The first is a translation by a professor of latin at the University of Ottawa)
These were the armorial bearings granted to Sir Dominic Corrigan, Bart. M.D., of Cappagh and Inniscorrig, County Dublin, Vice-Chancellor of the Queen’s University in Ireland and formerly M.P. for Dublin. The grant was made on March 6, 1860. These arms are essentially the traditional arms of the O’Corrigan family, which are of undetermined antiquity.