Finglas, Dublin, Ireland
Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital is Irelands’ major centre for elective orthopaedic surgery. Cappagh has been the pioneer of Orthopaedic Surgery in Ireland and is now the biggest dedicated Orthopaedic hospital in the country.
Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital is a Voluntary Hospital founded in 1908 under the care of the Religious Sisters of Charity. It was once renowned for its ‘Open Air’ wards and for its surgical treatment of children with TB from the 1920s. It is now an elective hospital with 160 beds, 11 of which are semi-private. The hospital provides the full range of Orthopaedic services including Major Joint Replacement (Ankle, Hip, Knee, Shoulder, Elbow, and Wrist), Spinal Surgery, Primary Bone Tumour service, Paediatric orthopaedics and Sports Injuries. The Orthotic Unit produces artificial limbs, braces and other aids for patients from all over the country.
The hospital has links with Beaumont Hospital, Children’s Hospital, Temple Street, James Connolly Memorial Hospital, St. Vincent’s University Hospital, St. Michael’s Hospital, Dunlaoghaire and St. Columcille’s Hospital, Loughlinstown.
Cappagh House was the residence of Lady Martin, widow of Sir Richard Martin and daughter of Sir Dominic Corrigan, the distinguished physician whose name is associated with ‘Corrigan’s Pulse’ and ‘Corrigan’s Button’. On 15th September 1907 Lady Martin passed to her reward and very generously bequeathed the property to the Religious Sisters of Charity “to provide a school for poor children in the neighbourhood”. As the surrounding district was sparsely populated at the time it was not considered practical to set up a school. Instead, it was used as a convalescent home for the Children’s Hospital, Temple Street and training school for nursery nurses. Underprivileged children who suffered from the diseases of poverty, such as Rickets, Tuberculosis and malnutrition were transferred to Cappagh for continuing treatment.